Safety Check - Important
Okay Questers, time to pay attention.
We love hearing about how much fun you're having playing QG - even how much you're getting addicted to it. It's great to be outdoors and learning about the environment.
But if you're playing QuestaGame, it's MANDATORY that you follow this safety advisory.
FIRST, SAFETY FOR YOU
(a) THE TWO MOST DANGEROUS CREATURES - CARS AND SUNSHINE
Cars - Avoid playing QuestaGame near roads or any habitats in which cars like to roam. (And, of course, do not play QuestaGame while driving).
Sunshine - You also need to wear plenty of sunscreen and a hat.
(b) PREPARATION AND SUPPLIES
Water - Drink plenty of water. If you go hiking, carry water with you to avoid dehydration.
Communications - If you go exploring, make sure someone knows where you are. Bring a phone. Make sure it's charged. If you're out of mobile range, best to be with a buddy at all times.
First aid kits - if you're out in the wild, good to have a first aid kit.
Planning - make sure you know where you're going, the sort of terrain you'll be in, any fire dangers, the right shoes/clothes to wear. Check weather reports and plan ahead.
(c) WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING AND WHAT YOU TOUCH
If you're looking at your phone or tablet, you should not be moving. You should be standing still.
Best not to touch wildlife (see below: "Capture only with Photos"). Give dangerous animals plenty of space. Never put anything in your mouth and avoid handling dead animals.
Remember, if you decide to rescue an animal - from a busy road, say - you're safety comes first. There's much more you can do to help conserve wildlife when you're alive and healthy than when you're injured or dead. So be safe!
(d) YOUR PRIVACY
For the purpose of biodiversity research and protection, QuestaGame shares sightings data. There are several features in place to protect your privacy. For example, precise location data (within 10-30km) is not shared with the general public; nor are all locations for a player available in real-time.
That said, if you are concerned about your privacy, we strongly recommend using a made-up name for your QuestaGame character.
NOW FOR THE SAFETY OF THE WILDLIFE AROUND YOU
CAPTURE ONLY WITH PHOTOS
- QuestaGame is about documenting, not touching. Sure, it's fun to have some insects crawl on you - stick insects, for example - but generally avoid handling creatures in the wild, especially frogs and other creatures that are tempting to pick up or touch. QuestaGame will generally reject photos that include people holding specimens.
- Never feed or lure wildlife with food eaten by humans.
- Do not trap wildlife.
LEAVE NOTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS
- Be careful not to disturb the wildlife - avoid stressing the animals or exposing them to danger.
- Be careful not to disturb wildlife habitats - stay away from nests and breeding areas (especially on the beach) and leave no trace of your activity.
- QuestaGame does not accept photos of birds on nests.
THREATENED OR VULNERABLE SPECIES
If you wish to find and record the occurrence of a threatened species, seek expert advice beforehand.
Okay, that's it. Now you can go back to having fun and enjoying the wonders of biodiversity!
Thank you for paying attention.